Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gut Check...

Last night began my two-hour love affair with my TV on Tuesday nights. I have been a Biggest Loser fan since season 1 and last night was the season premier where I got to meet all the new contestants and see their starting point. It always baffles me that the contestants are so big and I always think about the fact that you don't get to that point overnight. If I don't keep myself in check I could easily be standing there, 5 years down the road in terrible shape and severely overweight. It's a huge reality check. But the biggest reality check came when the contestants were talking about their lives and some of the adversity they have faced. The tears came....

Like most of America I was most brought to my knees by Abby. Abby is 35 years old with a starting weight of 245 lbs. She is also a Texas girl! I love her already! What I learned about Abby last night is that in October of 2006 she lost her husband, her 5 1/2 year old daughter and her 2 1/2 week old son in a car accident. They were hit by a driver going over 100 miles an hour and in an instant her life changed. She said, "In an instant I lost every role that was important to me." I thought to myself, oh my gosh....wife, mother, best friend...in an instant those roles are gone forever for her. I listened to her talk about her tragedy but what I heard in her voice was hope and her spark for life. She was the only person in her family not in that car and she point blank said, "There is a reason I'm still here. I have a lot left to do, and although I don't know what exactly that is, I do know I ran a mile today." And a huge, contagious smile spread across her face. Now that is inspiration. As she stepped on the scale at the end of their first week she could celebrate the fact that she lost 15 pounds!! Her journey had begun. And while all the other contestants had exclaimed that their weight loss was for their wife, or their husband, or their children, for the chance to watch them grow...she said, "I don't have anyone else to do this for but for me. And that's enough. I have to wake up every morning and choose to get up and take steps. I'm not afraid of death. Death would be much easier. But I choose life and I choose to live it to the fullest."

And in that moment, not kidding I had alligator tears streaming down my face, I thanked God for each and every blessing and each and every day He gives me with them. And I thanked Him for showing me so clearly a moment of living beyond the end of my nose. Abby, I don't even know you, but I appreciate you and your heart. My word what you've been through. But last night, you taught me more than calories burned must be higher than calories taken in to achieve weight loss. You taught me to choose joy. I heard it last week in bible study, but you showed it to me. Go green team! (*For the record I LOVE Coach Mo too!!)

5 comments:

Annie said...

i watched BL for the first time last night. loved it! i was in tears as well though :(
i'm officially addicted!

lesli said...

Oh my gosh it gave me the tears too, and you just did again. I was so moved when she said, "I'm not afraid of death, death would be the easy choice." WOW ~ what clarity? She might be the easy choice, but I'm totally rooting for her, because I can tell she's going to work hard and not give up.

ps ~ Justin's "darkhorse" is coach mo!

pss ~ i finally got my Texas Monthly YESTERDAY w/ coach leach on it & instantly thought of you and dave=)

Laura said...

I did not watch it all, but did see parts of it! Gena updated me that Abby is from Kaufman..where Gena lives. She said it was a horrible tragedy. She is strong and I am proud of her...go ABBY!!

Christa said...

I love The Biggest Loser...it always seems to motivate me. I had tears streaming down my face too when Abby shared her story. I need to start working out because I could be in the same place as them 5 years from now too.

katie newton said...

I watched it last night... had tears straming down my face.... what an incredible lady Abby is!! I just loved her! And what about Daniel picking Shay because she was the biggest and he used to be the biggest... I'm sorry, but he is a doll. I watched this all the while eating brownies and ice cream. Not good. :)