Sunday, February 28, 2010
Friday, February 26, 2010
In my quest for great baby gifts and cute party planning ideas I have turned, once again, to etsy. I don't really think you can go wrong when you have so much to choose from. I found these precious blankets that would be a great compliment to any shower gift.
Can you tell I'm ready for all things Spring?? Have a great weekend!!
PS...did anyone watch figure skating last night? Did you cry for almost an hour like I did because you were so happy for Joannie, the figure skater from Canada who lost her mom unexpectedly 2 days before her first skate in the Olympics? I literally stayed up until the end of the medal ceremony just because I wanted to see her dad when she got her bronze medal. What a hard time for them but what a huge blessing for her to win bronze and have that joy in the midst of such sadness. What am I going to do when the Olympics are over??
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
This one is hard to explain, but ever since she was a little girl, she twirls her hair. She twirls it every night before bed, when she is relaxing, when she is tired...she does it subconsciously. One day she looked up from her chair and she had been twirling her hair and she said, "Oh my. I'm not going to be able to twirl my hair!" Her friends know her all too well and Deborah brought her a piece of twirling hair that fastens to a scarf or bandana! ha!
Look at all of these fabulous hats and scarves!
The party crew! Her wonderful friends. (PS....it was on a Saturday before the Texas football game and most of these women have season tickets. They aren't just crazy Longhorn fans! ha!)
Thank you to all who came on short notice on an October Saturday. You were part of God's perfect blessing to my mom and our entire family.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Hope you're staying warm this February day!
Dave throwing snow balls at Rookie. He was trying to catch them in his mouth!
Monday, February 22, 2010
- I don't have to use a plastic key that deactivates anytime it's near my cell phone to get inside my doors!
- My desire for a cheeseburger can be satisfied with a $3 Sonic Wacky Pack instead of a $22 room service escapade.
- I get to spoon with this guy.....
- My DVR! Bachelorette, Biggest Loser and the Olympics, I heart you!
- MEXICAN FOOD!!! Y'all, I hadn't had Mexican food in 7 days! I have felt so tired and a little out of sorts. I feel certain it wasn't the 76 hours I worked last week but rather the absence of chips, salsa and refried beans from my diet. Don't you worry that I never care where we go out to eat, but I couldn't get "Antonio's" off my lips fast enough on Friday night.
Monday, February 15, 2010
The days are long....generally starting by 7am and ending around 10pm....
Not to mention, the week before I left Dave went snow skiing so we spent a total of about 5 hours together in between our trips. I miss him.
Today, aftera LONG day, I got back to my hotel room and I had these sitting on my entry table...
And let me tell you, he does not usually (read: NEVER) do things like this. Which is why it was so very special to me. I may or may not have cried.
He is a good man.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
And please don't let this alarm you... I don't have a complex and really question if he loves those things more than me...it's just our inside joke! Have fun making your own! It's addicting!
Monday, February 8, 2010
Bradley (because I can't keep up the charade of calling her Allison) made some crazy crawfish stuff that everyone loved (you guys know I don't eat this stuff...) and she really outdid herself with a homemade King Cake that was SO stinkin' good! And because she forgot the baby, she gets to do it again next year. :)
We had so much fun and we were all glued to the game. Lots of times I don't really care who is in the Super Bowl, but this year I was really interested in the game. I watched the entire game, National Anthem to final interview and I have a few observations...
- Carrie Underwood....y'all, I LOVE her and I was so excited she was going to do the National Anthem. And then she walked on stage and I threw up a little bit in my mouth. What in the world was she wearing?? All white and those crazy white heels....it was brutal and so was her hair. And her last note...oh my word...we all cringed and were so happy when the stadium started cheering and yelling because it drowned her out. I was just really confused because she's normally A-MAZE-ING...clothes, voice everything. It was an off night for sure.
- Commercials...so not funny. There was the one Doritos' commercial with the little boy telling off his mom's date and then, of course, the ETrade commercials were funny. Other than that, it was just lacking this year.
- The Who at Halftime...BORING. We vote Beyonce or Justin Timberlake for 2011. As Ryan said, "I think josh Groban would have been more entertaining."
- The Colts coach...my new all-time favorite! What a class act!!
- And the best part of the night is that the entire room chipped in to help me "punch out" and stuff my 1,500 name tags for conference. LIFE SAVERS! The boys were thrilled! ha ha. It was like I was running a sweat shop...but with Miller Light and King Cake...
And then...my favorite part of the night....
It was at this point that my ovaries started burning....
I mean....are you kidding me? Adorable and priceless moment doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm so happy for Drew Brees, the New Orleans Saints, and the entire city of New Orleans. Enjoy your moment!
I hope you all had fun last night no matter where you were or who you were cheering for! A special thank you to those of you who participated in my "Super Hostess" Giveaway. You all gave me some great ideas and some great recipes. Thank you! I entered everyone into a random drawing using Random.Org and the winner was entry #1! Sandra from Celebrate Everyday! Sandra, e-mail me at email@example.com to give me your address so I can send you your goodies!
True Random Number ServiceRandom Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:
Timestamp: 2010-02-08 16:04:08 UTC
Friday, February 5, 2010
It doesn't matter what the justification is, the idea is always the same...food, friends, fun!
This weekend is no exception. Super Bowl weekend is....well, the Super Bowl for pizza companies, beer distributors, tortilla chip makers and Velveeta stockholders. This one Sunday provides as much as 60% more sales than any other given Sunday. Not too shabby!
This Sunday I will be a guest instead of the hostess and I am SO excited! I am going to Bradley's and she has already said she has made Saint's T-Shirts and is working on the King Cake. Lynch and Ryan are bringing the gumbo and I am in charge of appetizers. I have a few ideas up my sleeve! Before I get into my recipe sharing I have to tell you that I could live off of appetizers. They are my favorite part of any meal! I'm more of a snacker rather than sitting down for a full meal, so give me chips and salsa or give me death!
Here are some great recipes (pulled pork sandwiches, guacamole and mint brownies) I shared last year, and below are a few of my favorite quick dips because they are SO easy and very few ingredients...(I don't have pictures for all of them, but I promise they are simple!)
Corn and Black Bean Salsa- Crowd favorite!
- Can of corn- drained
- Can of black beans- drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados sliced (I love avocado so I always put a lot. Use 2-3 depending on the size)
- 1 jar of salsa
- Mix together in a bowl and serve with tortilla chips!
The next dip...I don't even know what to call it. Maybe Yummy Goodness?? - Another crowd pleaser!
- 1 package cream cheese softened
- 1 package of sausage- browned and drained
- 1 can of rotel- drained
- Mix together in a bowl and serve warm with tortilla chips
Corn Dip- This is my old faithful. Super easy and I usually have the ingredients on hand in a pinch
- 3 cans of corn- drained
- 2 cups of Mexican blend cheese (You can use Cheddar if you prefer...or in a pinch!)
- 1/3 cup diced jalapenos (If you like a little more spice you can add a tbs of the juice, but watch out!)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1-1.5 cups of mayo
- Mix all ingredients together, place in a baking dish and bake on 350 uncovered for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
And don't forget the Taco Salads! (Click for the full recipe) You could do the corn and black bean salsa, queso, whatever floats your boat for apps and then serve the taco salads in a buffet line. You'll make new friends and keep the old with this one!
Now that we've conquered the food fun, let's talk about the actual party. It's always nice when you can throw a great party but not totally break the bank! Here are some great table/centerpiece ideas (some could be used for super bowl Sunday and some for any other Sunday!) and I just LOVE the idea of using leaves as coasters. I always trim greenery off my trees and bushes and fill the vases around my house.
I hope you are looking forward to your next get together! I'd love to hear your ideas! Food, decorations, great serving ideas, etc. Just link to your blog below and you'll be automatically entered in my "SUPER HOSTESS" giveaway! The winner will get some adorable PJs and my current favorite OPI nail polish. The winner will be announced Monday, so check back!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Have you seen it before? It's CRAZY! These moms are crazy! They are like the Texas Cheerleader mom on steroids! Do y'all know who the Texas cheerleader mom is? She's the lady who tried to put a hit on one of her daughter's classmates and the classmate's mom so her daughter would have a better shot at making cheerleader. You think I'm kidding...When Holly Hunter plays you in the made for TV movie we're talking true story. Any who...these toddler mom's are complete Texas Cheerleader moms. One of the women last night said she has probably spent $35 THOUSAND dollars on pageants in the last 6 months!!! What in the world! Dave would have me in a straight jacket!
Watching these little girls put on fake hair, "flippers" (fake teeth), get SPRAY TANS, wear fake eyelashes...it's just too much! It is beyond bizarre.
I will say that when I was 4 I had a choreographed dance to the electric slide that would have certainly won me Ultimate Grand Supreme. There's no question in my mind. The little girl last night with the Geisha routine would have had nothin' on me. And the Elvis bit...child's play.
*PS...don't forget to get your party planning blogs together for tomorrow! Recipes, decorating ideas, party games, etc. It doesn't have to be super bowl related. A commenter said she is throwing a Valentine's party! We would love to hear your ideas!!
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
I made lasagna, The Loj's Italian Wedding Soup which is SO stinkin' good, salad and bread. And for dessert, I tried something new! I LOVE creme brulee and there are so few places that serve it. I was flipping through my Pioneer Woman cookbook when lo and behold, there before my very eyes was a recipe for creme brulee. I decided it had to be done. I bought the ingredients, found myself a handy dandy butane lighter at Bed Bath and Beyond and set off for custard glory. Now I will say, it's a little bit tricky to make. Adding the HOT creme to cold eggs without cooking them isn't the most fun experiment I've ever tried, but it really wasn't that hard.
And it was a huge hit with Dave and Taylor. I found it funny that none of them so much as stepped foot in the kitchen while I was cooking all day, but they about broke their necks to be in there to fire the top of the dessert. Boys and fire...
My brother torching his dessert
Have you ever played chickenfoot?? We love it around our house! We play it most holidays. nothing like mistletoe and competition!