Thursday, September 8, 2011

Meat and Potatoes...

When Dave and I got married, one of the funniest transitions was food. We dated for 3 years before we got married so you would have thought I would have been more prepared, but living with someone is totally different than eating OUT with someone and the occasional homemade meal. You see, as I've told you before, my favorite food group is chips and salsa and/or queso. I can make an entire meal off of that.


Dave thinks that's bizarre.

He doesn't understand how I can be satisfied with a meal that is only made up of 2 items. None of which are meat. I, on the other hand, fully understand. Because those 2 items are cabs and dairy. Amen and amen.


That brings me to my point. I've been meaning to post all week and my post was going to be very chips and queso. I was going to tell you about these darling shoes we tried to talk my Nana into this weekend because they only had them in a teeny-tiny 5 1/2. I was going to tell you about some amazing cookies I made thanks to Pinterest, and I was going to tell you about how my mom, Nana and I all showed up on Friday night wearing a version of the same outfit. It was really special....


But there is something much more significant for me to share with you. Y'all get the meat and potatoes today because you have to know what's going on in our city right now.



This is my city as smoke and fire takes over: Austin, TX


I'm sure you've seen on the news that Texas is being consumed with fire. We're in a serious drought y'all. It's the worst in 100 years. We haven't had rain in months and months. Trees are literally huge matches right now and we're at a critical point. On Sunday, we got a huge wind storm. We didn't get any rain from hurricane Lee but we got some of the winds. Those winds downed a power line and the sparks started a series of wild fires about 30 miles from here. Bastrop is right outside of Austin and at this point, practically the entire city is on fire or has been burned.


Over 1,400....did you catch those zeros...1,400+ homes have burned. Families got out just in time. Many of them with nothing more than the clothes on their back.

photo gallery from KVUE news. *Photo Credit AP (first photo) and viewers


Please pray for our state. We need rain so.very.badly. Like pouring, drenching rain that stays for days. Please pray for the firefighters as they are on their fifth day straight of fighting fires around the clock. Please pray for the families that have lost their homes and everything they own. Many of them have lost livestock. Not only is that heart breaking, but it's their livelihood.

We will take your prayers for sure. If you can help in other ways we could certainly use that too. Please consider a donation to the Red Cross of Central Texas. Anything helps...and I am so grateful! I've been asking y'all for a lot of prayer lately. Sorry about that! But thank you for stepping up to the call.


I took this picture about 2 weeks ago driving home from work. I was sending it to my brother to tell him Austin misses him...


I took this picture yesterday driving down the same road. You can hardly even make out the Capitol. And this picture was from an even closer vantage point than the first one. It's just crazy.


God bless Texas....and please just make it rain a little....

18 comments:

DaisyGirl said...

I am praying for all of y'all! My parents live north of Houston and those fires there have been too close for comfort. I keep watching the weather just praying that "Nate" in the Gulf will get his act together and decide to go north.

Y'all be safe!!! And remember people ARE praying!!!!!

Jules said...

Those pics are heartbreaking!! We are getting a lot of the smoke here in Houston from Magnolia and it's so scary! I'm praying for some rain and for all of those families.
( BTW..... chips and queso is totally acceptable as a meal in my book!)

Suburban Princess said...

Wow that's crazy! I had heard a bit about the fire but had no idea it is so bad. Stay safe!

Lauren said...

Oh girl, please stay safe...fire is so scary & unpredictable! Definitely sending you thoughts & prayers!

Sara McCarty said...

Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you and the entire Austin area. I'm saying lots of prayers for rain and safety for you all! Please be super careful and stay safe. And if you need to get out of town, I've got an extra bedroom with your name on it.

Unknown said...

Praying for you all!! I wish I could send you some of this rain from Jersey. My backyard is a POND...this weather needs to right itself for everyone!

Stephanie said...

Oh my Lord! Yes, may God bless Texas!

Annie said...

sending tons of prayers your way....and crossing my fingers for rain!!

Brittany said...

My goodness, Praying for you all!

annalee said...

amen. so devastating.

Mel said...

Good thoughts and prayers headed your direction.

Jennifer @ MillerMusings said...

These pictures just break my heart. I'm originally from east Texas, (now live in Dallas), and there are so many wildfires there too. So ready for some rain!

Elizabeth said...

Praying for all the people in Texas! One of my mom's coworkers son lost his home in the fires, there just aren't any words.

I too am a chips and queso girl!

AllThingsYummy said...

Praying for Texas.

Fash Boulevard said...

praying for texas. super glad i found your blog. i'm following. I'd love if you'd check out my celebrity fashion and style blog and see if your interested in following too. Thanks love. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

texasnascarcowgirl said...

Hi there, I am from West Texas so I fully understand this post! Our state is on fire this year and it is so sad. What is sad to me is what is happening to the animals. People can endure and re build. Animals are mostly a second thought. As you pray for our state, pray for those that have taken in extra animals and who's fences are busting at the seams.

Chic Runner said...

Thinking of all you guys in TX! Praying that it rains soon and that everything gets worked out :( We get really bad fires here too and it's terrible. Thinking for all those affected. <3

Kat said...

oh my gosh! Thinking of you! We just got through a horrible hurricane. But it seems like nothing compared to this.