Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Birthday Boy...

They always say everything is bigger in Texas but I'm assuming Papa's 80th birthday in Heaven would put our shin-digs to shame! I'm sure he's talking Texas football with Darrell Royal, preparing for Jesus' big birthday bash, and getting the birthday song sung by the Angel choir instead of our raggedy- out of tune- version he heard yearly. 

It's been 8 months since my Papa passed away and we still miss him dearly. But today, we still celebrate you, Pa. The life you lived, how much you loved, how you were always present and how you always made us laugh! Happy 80th birthday, John Boy!





Always up for a celebration! ;)


In Papa's honor, and so we can remember him always this time of year, our family gifted the children's department at our church with this child-sized Nativity. I think it's just beautiful! I can't wait for my kids to see it, understand it, know who Jesus is, why He came and what He did for us. And I can't wait to tell them all about my Papa and the wonderful legacy he left for our family. 



 In other Papa news...he and my Nana were married on December 23rd, 1952!! Sunday is their anniversary and they would have been married 60 beautiful years! What a wonderful example they were. David and I are blessed with wonderful examples of Christian marriage in both of our families. 

We have a lot of wonderful "Papa memories" and "isms" to reflect on in these days of celebration. Gone but not forgotten...Happy birthday!

3 comments:

Lilly said...

What a lovely tribute! I was very close to my grandfther and love hearing of other young women who had the same special experience I did. So excited for the next chapter for your family!

Lilly

Vicki said...

Your choice of words about the heavenly shin-dig is so true. I cried so hard in my night prayer that the bed was shaking and I thought my heart might pop. When I woke up I had such a peace. God graced me with the blessing of a "first" birthday in heaven, smiling, whole, surrounded in love. I realized how thankful I was that he was there having a first rather than here having 80 in his tired and battered body. Thanks to grace I grew today. Xoxo

Nat said...

Such a beautiful tribute! You know he is having a great time up in heaven just enjoying himself and looking down watching over all of you.